The One Less Traveled By: a chronicle of my yearlong sabbatical

Getting High and Not Dying in Bolivia – Part 2 (in which I develop an addiction)
May 24, 2010, 8:34 pm
Filed under: Bolivia

I spent about two and a half weeks (April 12 to 28) in and around La Paz.  In addition to cycling Death Road, while in La Paz I, like so many others, found a way to feed what became an addiction.  Fortunately, mountaineering is probably not as dangerous as the addiction that most others come to La Paz to feed, on the cheap, usually in shady nightclubs, for weeks on end.  I fed mine in the Cordillera Real (the Royal Range), which surrounds La Paz and is home to dozens of 5000- and 6000-meter peaks.

I had been carrying, but had not used, my mountaineering gear (technical boots, gloves, and clothing) since El Chalten – which was back in early February – so I was happy to put it back to use.  My first trip out I hired an excellent guide named Teo to attempt Condoriri (aka Cabeza del Condor/Head of the Condor) and Pequeno Alpamayo over the course of four days.  My friend Chrissy came along as well to attempt Pequeno Alpamayo.  Condoriri was by far the more technical of the two, but when I had seen a picture of Pequeno Alpamayo I immediately had an overwhelming desire to climb it – the mountain, and the line up, were both so aesthetically perfect.

Pequeno Alpamayo


The first day we hopped in a taxi for a two hour ride to a tiny village named Tuni, population like 25, to load up the donkeys – that’s right, we had donkeys carrying our gear and food – and commence the two hour walk to basecamp.  We set up camp on the edge of a lake with perfect views of Condoriri.

The tiny town of Tuni, with Hyuana Potosi mountain in the distance

Our beats of burden

After almost no sleep (thanks to an obnoxious group of trekkers who must have thought that being incredibly loud was what the outdoors call for), Teo and I awoke at midnight, suited up, had breakfast, and headed out at about 1am.  The approach to the climb was fairly brutal, including about an hour or more up a very steep moraine field.  Then, after an hour and a half crossing a glacier, we finally arrived at the business of the climb – a 300-foot, 60-degree, snow, ice and rock canaleta (gully).  It was super fun and involved true mixed climbing, using the rock and the ice at the same time (the conditions were pretty thin; later in the season there’d be more snow):  while I found purchase in the ice with my right crampon and right hand, which had the ice ax, I used my left hand and left crampon on the adjacent rock.  Teo did an excellent job leading even though minimal protection was available.

The second pitch of the 60-degree canaleta/gully (as photographed from the rappel)

The canaleta -- the obvious snow gully on the left -- viewed from the summit of Pequeno Alpamayo

We reached the top of the canaleta just in time for sunrise

Upon reaching the top of the caneleta, we gingerly climbed over a knife-edge ridge and began to climb up the north ridge, which was snow and rock, to gain the summit ridge.  The ridge leading to the summit was unbelievably cool and exposed.  For about the two hundred feet that it ran to the summit, it was very narrow, with steep, see-you-on-the-other-side drops of hundreds of feet on both sides.  We reached the summit (18530ft / 5648m) at around 7:30am.  We stayed for twenty minutes enjoying the sweeping views of the Cordillera.  The altitude made the steep climbing tough, and breathing was always a challenge, but overall I felt pretty strong and had no problem making the summit.

Teo leading the southwest ridge

Dawn sweeps over the Cordillera as we continue to climb

The remarkable summit ridge, steep on both sides, massive drops. That's my ice ax.

Me on the narrow summit. At the time, this was the highest I'd ever been - 18,530 feet.

Teo on the summit with the Cordillera Real unfolding behind him

Our base camp, at the far side of the lake, from the summit.

The blister-inducing hike down was as brutal as the hike up, and we finally arrived back at base camp at 11:15 am, I with a massive headache either from dehydration or the effects of descending from altitude, or both.  I immediately fell asleep for an hour and, totally exhausted, I ate and remained horizontal the rest of the day.

We had considered having a rest day between Condoriri and Pequeno Alpamayo, but we decided instead that, since the weather was looking good, we should carpe diem etc.  And, anyway, after resting all day, I felt ok.  So, the next day, we woke at 2am and headed out by 3.  The approach to Pequeno Alpamayo was much more gentle, though there were some steep parts on the glacier and a challenging 4th class rock descent to reach the start of the climb.  The route we chose, the normal route, follows the awesome, aesthetic ridge all the way to the top.

Pequeno Alpamayo at dawn from our approach. The ridge -- which ascends from left to right -- is just visible in the light.

Sun rises over the Cordillera Real as we approach the climb

Most of the ridge was of moderate angle, but there was a fun section of about 100 feet of 55 degree climbing, before reaching the summit, at 17618ft / 5370m.  It felt awesome to get two summits in two days!

Teo cruising where it gets steep

The last few steps to the summit...

A bit blinded on the summit

Descending the ridge

Oh yes, there were plenty of crevasses

We arrived back to base camp at about 1 and again spent the rest of the day relaxing, eating, and hydrating.  The next day the arrierro (donkey driver) showed up at about 9am and we hiked back to Tuni for our ride back to La Paz.

Back in La Paz I rested for a few days before heading back out to the mountains, this time to attempt Huayna Potosi, just shy of 20,000 feet high (6088m).

Huayna Potosi from the miners graveyard

I went again with the same guide, Teo.  We did the climb in the normal three days.  The first day we drove to base camp, which this time was a comfy refugio, in the morning, and spent the afternoon ice climbing on a nearby glacier. The next day we packed up and left in the morning to make the 2.5-hour hike to high camp, another refugio, situated at 16830ft / 5130m.

Hiking to high camp with Huayna Potosi obscured by clouds in the distance

High camp refugio at 5130 meters

View from high camp toward La Paz, obscured by clouds

Having an early dinner at high camp

After lunch and an early dinner, it was off to bed by about 6 pm as we had to wake at midnight to start climbing.  It’s true that it’s difficult to sleep at altitude:  I slept for about an hour, from 7 to 8, then laid awake checking my watch every half hour hoping that it was time to finally go.  And then it was.  There were about six or seven other groups of two or three, but we felt like we were the most fit, so we let them all go first up the glacier while we took our time getting ready.  Teo did a great job of setting a slow, steady pace – one step every second or second and a half – which soon took us past the other groups that regularly had to stop for breaks.  We minimized breaks to two because it was just too damn cold to stop moving.  Our route was the normal route but with a direct variation that took us straight up the east face to the summit (the normal route winds around a bit more to an exposed ridge to the summit; this was our descent).  The face climbing was super fun, with 800 feet of climbing at an average grade of around 50 degrees, and with portions up to 60 or 65 degrees.

We reached the summit well ahead of the other groups and well ahead of sunrise, too – about 20 minutes ahead.  We planted ourselves on the precarious summit cornice for an extraordinarily cold half an hour to wait for sunrise and allow some of the others to gain the summit and clear room on the narrow ridge that we would descend.  (It was so cold that I debated for 15 minutes whether to take out my camera and off my gloves to snap some picks.  I’m glad I did.)  The wind was blowing fierce and it was already well below zero and as soon as my toes went from being totally numb to tingling with needles of pain I knew it was time to start moving.  The descent was quick and uneventful; we were back in La Paz by 1 pm.

On the summit, a knife-edge ridge with a 3000ft drop on the back side, at about 5:30am

Detail of the summit - an Israeli girl fell over it a few days before, but lucky for her she was still on rope so she only went about 10 feet, out of a possible 3000 feet.

Frozen on the summit

Sunrise over an ocean of clouds, from the summit

A look back at the summit of HP, which is on the right barely poking its head above the foreground ridge

While not out climbing I mostly just hung out in the city, enjoying the various gringo cafes that have a monopoly on good coffee in the city; eating regularly at a Mexican (finally!) and an excellent Cuban restaurant; and exploring the various eclectic markets that spill into the streets of La Paz.  I did get one day of rock climbing in on fantastically crappy rock; I had one hold bust on me slicing open my finger pretty good.  Unlike many people I met, I was fortunate not to get mugged or robbed while in La Paz – a regular occurrence, unfortunately, and often at knife- or gunpoint.  Overall, I had a great time there and left with wonderful impressions of La Paz and Bolivia, too.  Next stop:  Peru.


1 Comment so far
Leave a comment

Those ridges look quite dreamy and really make me long for the Andes. Way to go taking advantage of the weather to go for it, Awesome!

Comment by alex

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: